ROME UNDERGROUND AND BASILICAS
Private half day Tour – Skip the line
Half day walking tour of Christian Rome to discover the underground treasures in some of the most sensational churches. The tour starts in the Lateran area, whose name comes from the family owner of the territory where the first Popes use to live before going to Avignone in France and come back to Rome later on in the Vatican area. Visit of St. John Lateran Basilica, the oldest of the four Papal Basilicas, considered “The Church of Rome”, the mother of all churches The Cathedral, the place where the Bishop has the seat. Then the tour continues with the visit of St. Clement’s Basilica, the only church in Rome to be built on 3 different levels, from the 1st to the 12th century and the underground floors can be explored, including the altar of Mithras from the 1st century. Continue to the Church of the Four Crowned Saints, dedicated to four anonymous saints and martyrs and where in the 2002, an extraordinary series of frescoes was discovered with scenes of the Zodiac, Four Seasons, Liberal Arts and King Solomon. The visit ends with St. Peter’s in Chains Basilica, called like that for the chains that, according to the tradition, Helene – Constantine’s mother- brought in Rome and for a miracle where joined to the other St. Peter’s chain in Rome. The church, furthermore, is very well renowned for the statue of Moses that Michelangelo created for the tomb of the Pope Julius II.
* The entrance to the basilicas requires appropriate clothing: shorts, miniskirts and uncovered shoulders are not allowed.
– visit the Church of S. Clement, along with its underground
– visit the the church of SS. Four Crowned
– visit the Church of S. John in Lateran and visit the Holy Stairs
Validity: all season
Duration: 3 hours
Tour starts: 2.30 pm
Pick-up hotel: 1.30 – 2 pm
Departure days: Daily except Sunday and religious holidays
– Pickp-up and Drop off at hotel (inside Aurelian Walls)
– 3 hours Professional english guide
– Clement’s Basilica entrance fee