CASCIA AND SPOLETO
Full day tour from Rome
Live the unique experience traveling the Region of Umbria, to visit one of its most beautiful and visited places of worship and join in the spirituality of this mystical place. Umbria is the hometown of worldwide known saints; St. Francis the patron saint of Italy and founder of the Franciscan order, St. Clare founder of the order of St. Clare and equally famous St. Rita of Cascia. born in Roccaporena in 1381, she is one of the most popular saints of the Catholic Church. Her related symbols are roses and figs. The Basilica was built in 1937 and consecrated in 1947. The Monastery where she lived for forty years was rebuilt in the 18th Century and houses the nuns of the Augustinian community; you may also take this time off for personal prayer. Free time for lunch (not included) in a typical restaurant.
The trip continues to Spoleto, a gorgeous Middle Ages uphill town; Etruscan and Roman Age buildings such as a theatre and an amphitheatre are located in the upper village. The Rocca Albornoziana houses 6 towers, beautiful frescoes and the National Museum. The 14th century Ponte delle Torri or Bridge of Towers is built on the remains of a Roman aqueduct and stretches across a gorge towards the Rocca. Spoleto kept the 1st century Ponte Sanguinario, “Roman Blood Bridge”.
Back to Rome at 7 pm approximately, drop off at your hotel.
– Roccaporena, was born Santa Rita da Cascia
– Visit the Basilica and Monastery of St. Rita of Cascia
– Spend your afternoon in the UNESCO World Heritage-listed town of Spoleto in Umbria
– You’ll see the 14th century Ponte delle Torri (Tower Bridge)
– You’ll see the Rocca Albornoziana and its 6 towers
– The Cathedral of Spoleto
Departure days: Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday
Tour starts: 07 am
Season validity: from Apr 01st to October 31st
– Free transfer offered by Welcome Italy in air conditioning Minivan
– Pick up and drop-off at hotel (inside Aurelian Walls)
– Tour guirde for the whole trip